Best Albums of the Decade (2000’s)

posted November 25, 2009, 2:09 pm by dscanland | Filed Under Editorial | comment 17 Comments

Tags: albums of the decade, 2000s, lists, top 10 albums, albums

No, I’m not going to make a list of 10 albums that you need to buy. No, This isn’t going to be an elitist list. Music Emissions is about community so what we are going to do is try and collaborate on some albums that have changed your life these past 10 years. What albums have you returned to over and over this past decade?

We’ll keep this as a work in progress. As you think of some deserving mentions, drop a comment below. We’ll compile in the new year and see what we’ve come up with.

I’m going to start with one that I still turn to, in fact just reviewed recently. It is Grandaddy’s Sophtware Slump. Agree or not, it is one album that gets repeat listens.

And your input…

Comments

17 Responses to “Best Albums of the Decade (2000’s)”

1. Profile photo of Brian Rutherford Brian Rutherford on November 25th, 2009 7:20 pm

Its closer to 20 years, but Sublime 40 oz to freedom is the album I always come back to.

Brand New – Deja Entendu,
    Jack Johnson – Brushfire Fairytales
    Atmosphere – God Loves Ugly
    Alexisonfire – Watch Out!
    Armor For Sleep – What To Do When You’re Dead

Japandroids – Post-Nothing
    Iron & Wine – The Shepherd’s Dog
    Glassjaw – Worship & Tribute
    Firekites – The Bowery
    Copeland – Beneath Medicine Tree
    Acceptance – Phantoms

It’s also nice to see someone talk about Dear And The Headlights, great band.

3. Profile photo of dscanland dscanland on November 26th, 2009 1:39 am

Good work, Mountaloha. Some on here that I have never heard of! Namely Sleeping At Last and Acceptance. Just downloaded Firekites, need to give it a good once over.

I need to add TV On The Radio’s Dear Science. It was tough between that and Cookie Mountain but Science wins out on sheer listenability and groovieness.

Oh and M Ward released Hold Time this year which is a pinnacle moment in his career. He’s been a busy boy with this, She & Him, as well as Monsters Of Folk (not quite deserving of a mention). It was hard to pick just one of M Ward’s albums. Everyone is fantastic but Hold Time seems to have pulled everything into the mix.

Broken Social SceneYou Forgot it in People. It was hard to pick this one over their self-titled follow-up but this album hit people by storm. They really set the pace for a “collective” group. Pretty much anything that they are associated with is golden.

Another band you could probably have taken both of their albums is The National. Both Alligator AND The Boxer were outstanding but I personally think the Boxer is a slightly better album and worthy of a decade list such as this.

While I agree that De-loused at the Comatorium is an amazing album, I had to go back to an even earlier time and choose At The Drive In’s Relationship of Command. People were heartbroken when this album came out only to have this amazing band break up.

4. Profile photo of punchdrunk punchdrunk on November 26th, 2009 12:13 pm

Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea – PJ Harvey

5. Profile photo of mountaloha mountaloha on November 26th, 2009 8:32 pm

Tool – Lateralus
    Black Mountain – Black Mountain
    Cursive – The Ugly Organ
    Death Cab For Cutie – Transatlanticism
    Ween – Quebec

6. Profile photo of dscanland dscanland on November 27th, 2009 2:08 am

Mental note to add Spoon, Wilco, and White Stripes albums.

7. Profile photo of Brian Rutherford Brian Rutherford on November 27th, 2009 3:32 am

Spoon, The Ugly Organ, and Transatlanticism… very good omissions! How bout And The Trail Of Dead? Christiansen, Glassjaw now all of a sudden makes sense…Experience.Hold., gotta say as well…

8. Profile photo of Scrag Scrag on November 27th, 2009 9:05 am

Still loving Jens Lekman’s ‘Night Falls Over Kortedala’, that’s an awesome album. Totally agree with Spoon, ‘Kill The Moonlight’ was MINT.

What else… The National’s ‘Alligator’, Brand New’s ‘The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me’ and The Knife ‘Silent Shout’, which is AMAZINGLY beautiful.

9. Profile photo of fortuneandspirits fortuneandspirits on November 27th, 2009 10:29 am

Some fantastic albums you guys forgot:

The Strokes – Is This It
    Avalanches – Since I left You
    Ghostface Killah – Fishscale
    Jay-Z – The Blueprint
    Drive-by Truckers – Brighter than Creation’s Dark
    Midlake – The Trials of Van Occupanther
    The Field – From Here We Go Sublime
    Sufjan Stevens – Illinois
    Daft Punk – Discovery
    Burial – Untrue
    Ryan Adams – Cold Roses
    Ted Leo – Shake the Sheets

10. Profile photo of dscanland dscanland on November 27th, 2009 12:36 pm

Not sure about Ryan Adam’s Cold Roses. I would say either Heartbreaker or Gold though. Didn’t care for Midlake, Jay-Z, or Burial (the last was alright but I don’t think worthy of a decade list). Ted Leo would work. I’ve seen The Strokes on a lot of these lists. I thought it was great but worthy of such high praise?

On, and The Knife’s Silent Shout was an amazing album.

11. Profile photo of fortuneandspirits fortuneandspirits on November 27th, 2009 1:32 pm

A few more:

Low – Things We Lost in the Fire
    Iron and Wine – The Creek Drank the Cradle
    Dizzee Rascal – Boy in The Corner
    Antony and the Johnsons – I am a Bird Now
    Robert Plant and Alison Kraus – Raising Sand

12. Profile photo of fortuneandspirits fortuneandspirits on November 27th, 2009 1:39 pm

Also, following September 11th what was happening in New York was in large measure what was happening in music, for a little while everyone became a New Yorker and in that regard, for the first few years of the 00’s Jay-Z and The Strokes were THE standard bearers for their respective spheres of influence.

Is This It stands up tremendously well for me and I have no compunctions whatever about it being in the top ten of the decade. My personal top ten (not making suggestions for others) would be:

1) J Dilla – Donuts
    2) Broken Social Scene – Broken Social Scene
    3) Drive-by Truckers – Decoration Day
    4) Avalanches – Since I Left You
    5) The Strokes – Is This It
    6) Iron & Wine – The Creek Drank the Cradle
    7) The Decemberists – Castaways and Cutouts
    8) Radiohead – In Rainbows
    9) Outkast – Stankonia
    10) Sufjan Stevens – Seven Swans

13. Profile photo of Brian Rutherford Brian Rutherford on November 27th, 2009 5:09 pm

I think both Dennis and I agree on anything Krauss and Plant have done together. I personally like BSS, but havent spent enough time on em. Drive-by Truckers – Brighter than Creation’s Dark is probably a database god around here. Lmao @ Emmy, I haven’t heard Mint since I used it in appreciation of Christmas gifts from family… when I was 10!!! lmao… I will join you in bringing back this term!

14. Profile photo of dscanland dscanland on November 27th, 2009 6:31 pm

Oooh, Mastodon and Isis need to be on this list in some fashion as well. Probably Blood Mountain for Mastodon. Isis will need some more thought. Good one on the Avalanches. I haven’t listened to that album in such a long time.

15. Profile photo of bewitchingfaery bewitchingfaery on November 28th, 2009 10:19 pm

No particular order…

The Dandy Warhols – Welcome to the Monkey House
    Mazzy Star – So tonight that I might see
    Nirvana – Nevermind
    Death Cab for Cutie – Narrow Stairs and Plans
    Kings of Leon – Only by the night
    Ray LaMontagne – Gossip in the Grain
    Silversun Pickups – E.P.
    Underworld – A Hundred Days Off
    White Town – Frosh 90’s
    Brant Bjork – Somera Sól
    The Black Keys – Chulahoma

16. Profile photo of dscanland dscanland on December 3rd, 2009 5:29 pm

Ha, how do you manage Nirvana on a 2000’s list? Or White Town, Mazzy Star?

17. Profile photo of Brian Rutherford Brian Rutherford on December 4th, 2009 3:47 am

Easy does it D lol…, think she just misunderstood the question. But seriously Christy? White Town? Lmao… This sounds like a challenge Christy… podcast him back with music that will blow minds