Top Albums of 2008

posted December 1, 2008, 7:10 pm by dscanland | Filed Under Editorial | comment 12 Comments

Tags: top 10, lists, best of, When Life Gives You Lemons, Top albums of 2008, Meanderthal, obZen, Dear Science, Meshuggah, Torche, Watershed, Atmosphere, TV On The Radio, Opeth

It’s that time of year again where we culminate the ever popular “Best Of” lists. It’s the time of year that I hate. I ALWAYS tend to forget something that deserves to be on the list. People complain because I gave something 5/5 and it’s not on my list etc… Regardless, here is this years staff compilation of favorite albums in the great music year of 2008.

Dennis Scanland:

1. Michael Franti and Spearhead – All Rebel Rockers (Anti)
  2. Torche – Meanderthal (Hydra Head)
  3. TV On The Radio – Dear Science, (Interscope)
  4. Vampire Weekend – Vampire Weekend (XL)
  5. Meshuggah – obZen (Nuclear Blast)
  6. Elbow – Seldom Seen Kid (Geffen)
  7. The Black Keys – Attack & Release (Nonesuch)
  8. Hold Steady – Stay Positive (Vagrant)
  9. Sigur Ros – Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust (XL)
  10. Opeth – Watershed (Roadrunner)

Kevin Stevens:

1. TV on the Radio – Dear Science (Interscope)
  2. Tokyo Police Club – Elephant Shell (Saddle Creek)
  3. Grouper – Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill (Type)
  4. United Nations – United Nations (Eyeball)
  5. iLiKETRAiNS – The Christmas Tree Ship EP (Fantastic Plastic)
  6. Animal Collective – Water Curses EP (Domino)
  7. Lil Wayne – Tha Carter III (Universal)
  8. Conor Oberst – Conor Oberst (Merge)
  9. Atmosphere – When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint that Shit Gold (Rhymesayers)
  10. The Ascent of Everest –How Lonely Sets the City! (SHELSMUSIC)

Aaron Shipp:

1. The Mars Volta – Bedlam in Goliath
  2. Atmosphere – When Life Gives You Lemons..
  3. Gnarls Barkley – The Odd Couple
  4. Protest the Hero – Fortress
  5. Beck – Modern Guilt
  6. Mouth of the Architect – Quietly
  7. Meshuggah – obZen
  8. The Sword – Gods of the Earth
  9. Torche – Meanderthal
  10. Tilly and the Wall – O

Kevin Sellers:

1. Hour Of The Shipwreck - The Hour Is Upon Us (Self-Released)
  2. Cradle Of Filth - Godspeed On The Devil’s Thunder (Roadrunner)
  3. Meshuggah – obZen (Nuclear Blast)
  4. A’tris - Lensing (Mark)
  5. Ministry - Cover Up (13th Planet)
  6. Opeth - Watershed (Roadrunner)
  7. Brown Shoe -Jackalope (Self-Released)
  8. Equilibrium- Sagas (Nuclear Blast)
  9. Agalloch – The White EP (Vendlus)
  10. Coldplay – Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends (Capitol)

Sean Collins:

If you haven’t listened to at least three of these, you hate America and are really missing out.

1. Lydia – Illuminate
  2. Astronautalis - Pomegranate
  3. The Reign of Kindo – Rhythm, Chord & Melody
  4. Forgive Durden – Razia’s Shadow: A Musical
  5. Pompeii - Nothing Happens For a Reason
  6. Anathallo – Canopy Glow
  7. Number One Gun – The North Pole Project
  8. Wolftron - Flesh & Fears
  9. Jet Lag Gemini – Fire the Cannons
  10. City and Colour – Bring Me Your Love

Mike Wood (no particular order):

• The Red Buddha, “Sunflower Sessions” 2008 (Spade Kitty)
  • The Herbaliser, “Same As It Never Was” 2008 (!K7)
  • 16 Horsepower, “Live March 2001″ 2008 (Alternative Tentacles)
  • The Malchicks, “To Kill a Mockingbird” 2008 (Zoho)
  • V/A, “Como Now” 2008 (Daptone)
  • The Histrionixs, “Thin” 2008 (Cat Erratic)
  • Castanets, City of Refuge 2008 (Asthmatic Kitty)
  • Vic Chesnutt, Elf Power, the Amorphous Strums, Dark Developments 2008 (Fanatic)
  • Rachel Taylor Brown, “Half Hours With the Lower Creatures” 2008 (Cuttroat Pop Records)
  • Caethua, “Queenly Women Crowned and Uncrowned” 2008 (Abandon Ship)

Brian Rutherford

1. Atmosphere -When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Sh*t Gold
  2. Black Light Burns – Cover Your Heart And The Anvil Pants Odyssey (cd & Dvd)
  3. Cactus’s – Tropical Terror Music Emissions IOTY finalist
  4. Dear And The Headlights – Drunk Like Bible Times
  5. The Sound Of Animals Fighting – The Ocean And The Sun
  6. Jedi Mind Tricks – A History Of Violence
  7. El Perro Del Mar – From The Valley To The Stars
  8. The Psyke Project -Apnea
  9. The Vampire Weekend – Vampire Weekend
  10. Hold Steady – Stay Positive

Comments

12 Responses to “Top Albums of 2008”

1. Trismus on December 2nd, 2008 7:32 pm

We only got five reviewers to put up for this? SHAME
    Some surprise picks from others that stood out:
    Lil Wayne, Stevens? Do tell.
    Sellers: that list has more metal per volume than Wild Turkey has alcohol. Well done.
    Sean: I had heard a lot of people love that Lydia album. Number one though? I like pillows but I would hardly call them my favorite piece of furniture.
    Oh, and I’m with you Dennis that Saturnalia was a HUGE disappointment. Not necessarily bad but I had hoped for much more.

2. Symphony on December 2nd, 2008 10:26 pm

I love that album so much.

3. Dennis Scanland dscanland on December 4th, 2008 2:29 pm

Come on… The rest of you must have some favorites that you’d like to share. Post em here in the comments.

4. Dennis Scanland dscanland on December 4th, 2008 4:27 pm

Just added our beloved Mike Wood’s top 10 (patchen). As eclectic as only Mr. Wood can be. How many of these releases have you actually heard of let alone heard?

5. Sinist3r Punk on December 4th, 2008 8:24 pm

I dont think I’m ready for a top 10 list yet but I’ll give my top 10 albums I really liked this year lol.
    T.I.- Paper Trail
    The Offspring- Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace
    3OH!3- Want
    Flight of the Conchords – ” ”
    Boris- Smile
    Mogwai- The Hawk Is Howling
    The Killers- Day and Age
    Ok so i could only come up with 7
    so here is my Top 7 list of 2008

6. kev_stev on December 5th, 2008 1:40 am

I wanted to dislike Lil Wayne’s new album, I really did, but I was hooked the instant I head “Got Money.” I think he’s got such personality, which really shines through his vox, and he really is one of the better producers out there right now. Can’t deny him.

7. kev_stev on December 5th, 2008 1:45 am

Also, I put in the remaster of The Ascent of Everest in there. Very good post-rock; extremely, extremely reminiscent of GY!BE

8. blackxdan on December 7th, 2008 2:25 am

so far, all i have is norma jeans, the antimother. i don’t remember half the releases that came out this year, which doesn’t say a lot for this year.

9. calirockangel on December 18th, 2008 8:29 pm

Still working on my Top Ten…apparently I hate America…listening to these new albums now before I come up with my list.

I’ll tell you who number one is, hands down…

Kings of Leon, Only by the Night. I f’n love that CD as much as life itself.

PS-Michael Franti is ridiculously awesome.

10. Dennis Scanland dscanland on December 22nd, 2008 1:26 pm

Yo, Brian’s have just been added. Atmosphere tops his list!

11.  hstisgod on December 27th, 2008 3:59 am

To be honest, I’m definitely guilty of forgotten artist. Kings Of Leon’s Only By The Night, was a very refresh record. Sentence me to one month bad music luck!

12.  hstisgod on December 29th, 2008 2:24 am

Man, I cant believe I gotta do this. Dennies please knock back The Psyke Project -Apnea on my list, and replace with Kings Of Leon. Therefore dropping Hold Steady from the list altogether. I’m ok with that…

Its less credible but at least its not after the first of the year!! I’ve been spending more time with this KOL album now more than ever, wow, this is a freshness I’ve missed BIG time.

I heard about em the same time a little after Dennis, but he horded their first submission, and I’m guaranteed to never get a copy to review!!! Your best call on an up and coming group yet. I doubted them for a minute, but “Only By The Night” is pure rock without hesitation. Recommended for 75% listeners of the world.