Here’s my list of my fave 5 indie artists from NOLA (in no particular order);
- The Bally Who: The Duffourc brothers’ band sometimes comes as a pair, sometimes with a marchingband or …you never really know who they’re going to be but i love them. They’re like the velvet underground bumping into the muppets on abbey road.
- Steve Zissis: An indie actor who recently starred in “Baghead” by the Duplass brothers (not the Duffourc brothers). Steve is absolutely hilarious and staged a few brilliant theatre productions in New Orleans. He calls himself the “poor man’s Paul Giomati,” but I think he’s a lot more than that!
- John Boutte: A living legend – a creole soul singer from New Orleans that will make your heart melt. He did a cover of Neil Young’s “Southern Man” at Jazz Fest in 2006 that is one of the best live performance’s I have ever seen. Catch him live if you can. Make sure you have a good view of the stage- cause he’s short. :)
- Tina Stanley: She has her own unique style of jewelry making – hand made silver links and semiprecious stones in quirky compositions. The name of her company is Mars Violet.
- Davell Crawford: There’s no one alive that can play the piano like Davell. He’s going to be with me at Joe’s pub in NYC on february 6th so come hear for yourself.