Sunday’s Best: Blue October

posted September 4, 2011, 10:52 am by Brian Rutherford | Filed Under Sunday's Best | comment 6 Comments

Tags: Blue October, Foiled, Any Man In America

Back in the day, when this place was crawling with forums and chats about random acts of music, we used to poll ourselves. Which album not only set the artist atop of the industry, but stapled them in as musical gods.

This week, we take on Blue October

Vote on all of our Sunday’s Best

What is your favorite Blue October album?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Comments

6 Responses to “Sunday’s Best: Blue October”

1. Dennis Scanland dscanland on September 8th, 2011 8:31 am

I can’t honestly answer this. I think I might have heard one album by Blue October and I wouldn’t even know which one it was.

2. Brian Rutherford hstisgod on September 8th, 2011 8:39 am

Was it the one you passed onto me two years ago? That was Approaching Normal

3. Will Worland phr3ak9x on September 8th, 2011 9:06 am

Damn B-Ry… this is so HARD to answer!!

Here’s the rub. As a hardcore fan, I LOVE every album they have every recorded, and even songs that have never been on an album.

“Which album not only set the artist atop of the industry, but stapled them in as musical gods?”

To answer this question only in it’s exact context, the answer is most certainly Foiled, as it was the first album to get a crap ton of radio play and appeal to audiences that previously wouldn’t have even bent an ear to give them a listen. But it’s not MY favorite album.

For me, I suppose my favorite is Consent to Treatment, and that’s the way I will vote in the poll, but it’s not the one that answers your poll question.

Consent to treatment hits home with a ton of the hardcore fan base because of the gritty, hold nothing back, truth about despair, heart ache, addiction, suicide, love, hate, contentment, and illness.

Foiled and Approaching normal appeal more directly to the masses of music consumption for it’s poppy beats, upbeat tunes and hard rocking edges.

The answers and (one you left off the list) Argue With a Tree (Live Album with special DVD footage), are also more directed at the cult followers with it’s melodic story telling and hard hitting truths.

The most recent drop of AMIA (Any Man In America) is a very interesting album that blends the best of Blue Octobers influences with the appeal of current and historically popular music styling. If you listen closely to the musicality of this album you will hear Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, Mosrrisey, Jay-Z, and classic Blue October sounds mixed with modern hip hop beats and progressive pop punk as well as big band strings and horns.

Overall, for me at least BO as a band is defiantly different yet still appealing to the masses. This is a deadly combination in the music industry and that mix will continue to put them a the top of the charts and most certainly earn them the label of Rock Gods.

-9x

4. Brian Rutherford hstisgod on September 8th, 2011 9:29 am

See, now that’s one of the finest breakdown’s I’ve read on our Sunday’s best yet.

5. Kevin Sellers SolitaryMan on September 8th, 2011 1:11 pm

I had to pick Foiled. It’s where I came in in terms of being a Blue October fan, and the songs “She’s My Ride Home”, “Congratulations” and “18th Floor Balcony” used to and still kinda do mean a great deal to me personally.

6. Ben Oliver iamparadox on September 9th, 2011 4:47 pm

Before the new AMIA (Any Man In America) I would have said and voted Foiled, but I am really digging the new one. After reading Will’s post, will have to listen to Consent to Treatment now.