Interview: Rhonda Brilliant of Rainmaker Media Group

posted April 25, 2012, 12:38 pm by Brian Rutherford | Filed Under Interviews | comment 6 Comments

I had created a new television show called EDGETV on the ABC affiliate here in Boston as a fun side project. I tried to find a publicist to help promote it and couldn’t. “So, I ended up doing it myself. And voila..a career was born.

For the artists out there trying to help themselves, what are some of the largest mistakes an unsigned artist can make?

Sending out mass e-mails (gets immediately deleted), using the genre R & B (kiss of death), hiring a manager (never works out at this stage of a musicians career).

For the specialists of the future reading, what makes a good publicist?

I am sure there is a school you can go to learn about being a music publicist, but, I didn’t go to it.I have a BA in Political Science. But, I learned quickly how to draw attention to events and artists.

Over the years, you’ve done P.R. for some fantastic bands, what artist has been the most fulfilling?

C’mon.

Name four artists you grew up listening to as a kid.

When I was a kid, I lived next door to Steven Tyler ( Aerosmith) so I was of course a huge fan. I loved INXS, Duran Duran, Cameo, Heart , Fleetwood Mac, Heart, Jethro Tull, Leon Russell, Sade The B-52′s and I was addicted to Santana.

iOs or Droid?

Blackberry

Do you prefer Amazon or iTunes?

Amazon

Word Association

-what’s your first instinctual response to the following:

RomneyIs he wearing his magic underwear today?

JournalistsExhausted

NewspapersIrrelevant

2012Busy

Social MediaBoring

ObamaBig Heart

The Rainmaker Media Group is based in Massachusets, we’ve noticed the majority of genres out of there are Hip Hop and Metal, do you see any other genres flourishing locally?

I do live and work in Boston, Ma. However, I have worked very few bands based out of Boston since starting The Rainmaker Media Group in 1996. Half of my clients live in Europe, Australia, New Zealand. The other half here in The USA, Canada and South America. I have extremely eclectic taste in music. The one genre you will never see me work is Hip Hop & Rap.

What makes a good publicist?

In the end, a good publicist is one that has long held & trusted relationships with the media. When you pay for a publicist, you are paying for that. 2012 marks our 16th year anniversary..amazing!

When you’re done and retired, what will you want the music industry to feel about The Rainmaker Media Group?

I will never retire.

Comments

6 Responses to “Interview: Rhonda Brilliant of Rainmaker Media Group”

1. Charles Martel CharlesMartel on April 25th, 2012 9:34 am

Good interview. I wonder what success some of the bands Rainmaker have dealt with have gone on to achieve.

2. Dennis Scanland dscanland on April 27th, 2012 11:44 am

That would be a good question for Rhonda. Rhonda, if you are reading this, what are some of the artists that you’ve worked with that have rocketed on to fame and fortune? Or should have attained the fame?

3. Brian Rutherford hstisgod on April 27th, 2012 12:04 pm

YEAH, you guys sniffed out the one question I asked and didnt post the answer…

“I’m not answering that”

4.  Rhonda69 on April 28th, 2012 11:42 am

hmmm..well..in 16 years..I have worked about 1400 bands ….and I guess I could say that about 10% of those bands have become successful. But, success is very subjective. Some have aquired record deals and then broke up shortly after. While others have decided to tour Europe and make their mark over there. While, others have been able to get publishing deals and now make a fairly good living. One of my first bands was Guster..I worked two of their first cd’s in the mid 90′s…are they considered famous? Does their current record deal mean they made a fortune? Can I take credit for where they are today because I worked their cd’s in 1997 and 1998?
    And..what about The Fuzzy Pinks? They were the brain child and side project of Chad Smith ( The Red Hot Chilli Peppers). They were famous for awhile? Anyone remember them? It is just a question that can’t easily be answered.

5. Brian Rutherford hstisgod on April 29th, 2012 9:09 pm

Now there’s info Rhonda… wow, 16 years 1400 bands, next time, more statistical questions too! Impressive !

6. Brian Rutherford hstisgod on April 30th, 2012 10:37 pm

I believe one of your bands are on our “On The Verge” list haha!!!