I was at a “house concert” on Tuesday night and really enjoyed the band that was playing (Bull Kelp). I wanted to check out their music but all they had for sale was a brand new CD. I’m in the process of getting rid of all my CDs at the moment so the thought of acquiring another is not really ideal. But regardless, I bought the CD, proceeded to rip it to my iMac media centre and then threw out the CD (recycled what I could).
I knew that there had to be some other way and I decided to do some research on it. Introducing Music Download Cards. There are already many companies offering this service and you don’t need to be technically savvy in order to get this idea off the ground.
Here’s what you do:
- Sign up for an account
- Upload your content you want to either sell or give away
- Decide what information you’d like to collect for your download (usually just add an email address to an email list)
- Upload artwork for the card
- Get cards printed and shipped
- Sell or give away cards at your shows
And there are many sites offering this service. Here are just some of them.
- Dropcards (I like this one, they have a “seed card” that is printed on biodegradable and seed embedded material. Plant your card when you’re done.
- CD Baby
- Bands On A Budget IndieCards