The King Of Pop, Michael Jackson is dead at 50

posted June 25, 2009, 6:53 pm by dscanland | Filed Under Music News | comment 7 Comments

Tags: Michael Jackson

I was minding my own business here at work and my wife called me asking me if it was true that Michael Jackson had died. A quick Google search on MJ confirmed that the King Of Pop had indeed died in a Los Angeles hospital after a cardiac arrest. This is one of those days that you’ll remember, I think. You know, the day Presley died, the day Lennon or Cobain died…

Jackson had 50 sold out concerts scheduled later in the year in London. It was supposed to be his big comeback. I guess sometimes comebacks come a little too late.

I did enjoy some of your music Michael, Thriller and Bad albums to be precise. Thanks for all the tunes.

Here’s a CNN story on the whole ordeal.

I was going to embed some MJ videos but unfortunately they all have embedding turned off due to the ridiculous requests of the label.

Comments

7 Responses to “The King Of Pop, Michael Jackson is dead at 50”

1. Profile photo of Brian Rutherford Brian Rutherford on June 25th, 2009 8:37 pm

I’m taken aback..I did listen to MJ when I was a kid… thou… Im not really shocked…Him and Fawcett… does it really come in threes

2. Profile photo of Kevin Sellers Kevin Sellers on June 26th, 2009 10:58 am

It kind of took me by surprise, but for some ridiculous reason I think he must be at a peace now that apparently he could never come to in life. I always felt simultaneously impressed and sorry for him, he had so much going for him but could never find the personal satisfaction I think he needed. RIP.

3. Profile photo of dscanland dscanland on June 26th, 2009 12:33 pm

That’s kind of how I felt as well. He always struggled with fame and people have always been so hard on him. It sounds like the pressure of the 50 upcoming shows may have done him in.

4. Profile photo of Brandon Thompson Brandon Thompson on June 26th, 2009 11:42 pm

I know we are all in mourning here at M.E, but does anyone else find this death a little odd?
    I mean, $400 million in debt, having to do 50 sold out shows in London, and having to lose Neverland Ranch, his most prized possession.
    and not even a year ago he had to auction off all of this stuff.
    I just find it a little strange, but I dont mean to stir up any shit.
    R.I.P.

5. Profile photo of dscanland dscanland on June 26th, 2009 11:46 pm

Well, the dude wasn’t known for his good choices. Sure, he was the king of pop but really, once he fell from the thrown his life was nothing clean, even though he tried his best to stay out of the spotlight. Anyway, my thoughts go out to his three kids. Hope they get looked after very well.
    (Isn’t it strange how the recipient of the “best selling album of all time” was in debt? Maybe Sony should have given him a bigger cut. Regardless, his albums are doing gangbusters again. Top of all the iTunes charts! That should help with the debt.)

6. Profile photo of Kevin Sellers Kevin Sellers on June 27th, 2009 9:07 am

Sinister: are you alluding to some sort of conspiracy? Just because some pieces fit, you don’t always have a complete puzzle. ;)

It’s possible, but rather unlikely.

7. Profile photo of KLee KLee on June 28th, 2009 5:02 pm

The fact of the matter is, this man influenced 40 years + of music fans. The man meant more to entertainment than Johnny Carson, David Letterman, and Ed Sullivan COMBINED. Just think of the hack comedians who had no other material BUT Michael Jackson jokes to supplement their crappy set. While he isnt too relevant now, this is a huge loss.